Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Fall that lies ahead

"The Road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began..."

Ahhh...life. It just keeps on rollin. I ordered my books for the fall semester at Lincoln Christian University today, as well as a lot of extra ministry tools that I'm really excited to start using, and it got me to thinking about my college adventure so far. I've been in college technically since 2003-04 pursuing my undergraduate degree. It's been a really long road to get to where I am now, and as I'm looking at FINALLY graduating in the spring of 2012, I'm amazed at the changes I've seen in me; to say nothing of the fact that I've gained my own family and ministry that I adore entirely.

I've had people ask me if I regret not completing my college in the traditional four year model, and the honest truth is that I don't regret it at all. If I had, I most likely wouldn't have met my wife, had our children, and be where we are today. I would not trade the life that I have or the family I have been blessed with for anything that this world has to offer. Yes, my college experience has been a roller coaster ride, but I believe that God has directed me throughout my lifetime, and even when I've made stupid decisions He has gotten me back on track. I believe that I am here for a purpose; a reason that is directly tied into advancing God's Kingdom.

No indeed, I regret nothing other than not trying harder in my first few years of college. Before coming to Lincoln here, I had the opportunity to learn under some incredible thinkers and Theologians. And while I loved the lectures and discussions, homework was never my strong suit. It's obviously no one's fault but my own, and I am happy to say that I've been working on that intensely. When I got into the program here at Lincoln Christian University, having my wife and children to love and care for played a huge part in my focus and drive to excel. It's amazing the resolve one can find when he is working for both himself and others... since coming here, I've made and maintained respectable grades, and I hope to graduate at least "with Honors" come next May.

Please understand, I'm not saying any of this out of arrogance, I'm just reflecting on the changes I've seen in myself over the years. I am thankful that God has worked on me so much over the years... He is the reason that I'm anything, and He has given me purpose.

What does this have to do with anything? Well...nothing other than it's just another situation to offer praise and glory to my God above. I'm incredibly excited for the next semester. One of the beautiful things that has been growing in me since I began the program in Lincoln Christian University is that I've found that I have an intense love of learning and a desire to continue learning. Like I said before, I have always enjoyed lectures and discussions and whatnot, but this has manifested itself in a much more real and tangible way. I love learning about my Savior, what can I say? :)

Anyways, The next fall and half of spring are going to be very exciting. And as I look at my beautiful wife who has fallen asleep on the couch, and as my children slumber away in their beds, I am reminded that I am the most blessed and fortunate man in the world.

Indeed, I wouldn't change a single thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment